Monday, October 3, 2011

I was never good with titles

I haven't posted in awhile and that's about to change.

My beloved E has challenged me to write 2000 words a day, anything I want, to get me writing. I figure I can at least use some of those words to update here a little more often, right? I'm also gearing up for Nanowrimo, which I'm hoping I can actually complete this year. If I'm already used to writing 2000 words each day, it should be a piece of cake. Here's hoping that thought is right!

Sword class continues. Difficulty still continues. The light bulb above my head shines dimly at moments, flares brightly, and then fades slightly. I understand the basic cuts, getting better a the drawing/cutting moves, and still only feel comfortable with one kata. Sensei told me that my basic cuts are looking more solid. He had one of his black belts work with me on two forms that I really needed help with (the man is so kind and very willing to offer advice, working with me challenged him to think a little differently). The foot work on one still confuses me, no matter how many times I do it on my own, whether on two feet or in my head, I can't seem to get the directions right. There's something missing part way through that eludes me. I'll get it figured out though, hopefully I'll ask the right questions. The other form he worked with me on has more of a hand/arm movement issue than a footwork issue. I have to remember to push forward with my left hand for the cut to work correctly (it's a side cut), but then I inevitably forget something else. It's a bit frustrating, but I'll continue trying, because it will sink in eventually.

Bringing up a different thought, piano was never like this. Yeah, practice is important, but I was rarely expected to remember how things went, I had sheet music. The path was laid out for me, I just needed to follow the notes. I realize that not everything in life will be laid out for me so well, and that I need to learn to break things down into pieces to help me remember. I do long for written instructions though.

I have to say, I really enjoy learning sword still.  I love the feeling of those rare times I get it right.  When I suddenly understand why one movement flows into another.  Getting foot work done is a wonderful victory each time, and being able to keep up in drills feels like flying.  I know it's taking longer for me to get it, but I'm okay with that.

On the knitting front, I had a dry spell recently. I have found some lovely yarns to work with, but no patterns have been calling me to make them.  I've been working on something for my dear Jen's birthday (it's late, neither of us are worried - at least I hope not!), and need to get that sent off in the near future. I've done two shawls (Laodice and Eiki) this summer that have proven to me that my knitting has, in fact, sped up. That feels great, because it means that I'll feel a little bit less stressed about Xmas gifts.  I'm still working on making up my mind if I like making socks or not.  The tiny needles and the tiny yarn get tedious after a bit and I find myself getting frustrated far too easily with them.

Yeah, Christmas has been on my mind. It's amazing how I'll look at yarn and slowly start seeing potential pieces, and colors that go with people. It's frustrating when I see a pattern that I think might be perfect for someone, but I don't know what color would be best for them. I understand now what my friend, Melissa, meant when she asked me if I'd use a handmade quilted item. There is a lot of time and love put into a handmade piece, so picking the wrong color (pattern, or person) can mean it just gets stuck at the back of the closet, or in a bin with moth blocks, or worse, in the garage with the tools!  I have, however, located yarn for both of my older nieces and should be able to find a proper pattern for both of them.  A's is fun and colorful, while K's yarn is appropriately dark for my little goth teen.

On a different note, I've had people urging me to make baby gifts.  I fear tiny items, because I know they will only have a limited use. Now small blankets, wash clothes, things of that nature, I can understand and get behind. But the tiny hand knitted sweaters (no matter how adorable they may be) that might fit the baby for a month or more seem sweet, but frivolous. These are on my mind, as I have a friend who just recently announced her second pregnancy (I get to be an aunt again! I hope this one is a boy, because I'm woefully short on nephews, as much as I love my three nieces). I want to make something for them, because well, I haven't done any baby items yet.

The weather here in CA has finally decided to cool down, and the clouds have finally rolled in. Whenever people ask me about the weather here, all I can say is, "It's nice." It is always nice, even on the hottest days, because there is no humidity. But today we're supposed to get some rain, and then on Wednesday more. The temperature has dropped to the 60's, which is probably driving a good number of the locals mad. I expect to see people in heavy sweaters and parkas soon.

Along with the lovely weather, Lambtown took place in Dixon, Ca this last weekend.  I'll admit, I was underwhelmed by the size of it.  Having been to the Maryland Sheep & Wool festival and Stitches West made me expect something bigger and more exciting.  It was nice though, don't get me wrong.  I wish they had had a little more variety on the food front, because while the idea of gyros, lamb ribs, and lamb tacos are nice, it just wasn't enough (we had heard something about lamb burgers, but never found them).  The sales booths were nice,  offering a fairly good selection of handspun yarns, hand knitted pieces, and loads of patterns.  I had a budget, which I stayed nicely in, selecting only a skein of yarn and a pattern to go with it.  This will be a project that I'll be putting together soon (the yarn is a lovely mix of rose garden colors with a coppery thread throughout).  E also picked out a pattern for me to do, and the lady there showed me a trick for purling that I can't for the life of me remember (I am so not a visual learner).

There were plenty of sheep to be seen, as well as a few alpaca and llamas.  I got to witness a woman standing next to a alpaca and the alpaca loving on her, nuzzling at her neck while she petted it.  I've never seen anyone actually interacting with one of these animals like that, so it was a new and pleasing experience.  She was in the petting zoo area, that also had a pygmy goat, ducks, chickens, a calf, kittens, piglets, and a couple of bunnies.  I really wanted to take the pygmy goat home with me!

So the future holds more sword classes, hopefully more chances to fondle yarn, and Stitches West (and possibly Galifrey One) in February, and then Jen's wedding in March.  The next six months are going to be fun with bridesmaid dress shopping, holidays coming up, and numerous conventions - where I will hopefully get to hang out with friends.  I'm really looking forward to the rainy season and the hills around our town turning from their slumbering brown to a lush green, and telling all the flowering plants what month it is and how they are not supposed to be blooming in the winter.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment